Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Holiday Offers from Life Science Companies

Yesterday a rep came through the lab from a rather large antibody company. I was pretty surprised since campus was closed and, the lab was a ghost town (its Christmas Week after all).  We chatted for a bit about this and that, which was good start.  Friendly, good story about working through the holidays when he was in the lab. I'm engaged.

The deal his company is running is a 4 for the price of 3 on antibodies from now until the New Year. I almost laughed in his face.  Seriously? What marketing person drew that idea up. As far as I know, I have never bought 4 antibodies at one time.  I seriously doubt many life scientists have. In fact, after he left, I looked through our online ordering system and only once in our lab's history has anyone ordered 4 antibodies at one time. ONCE. 

Opportunity lost. Know your customer.  Sure there are some labs that do a lot of FACS and IFA that might buy multiple antibodies at once.  The vast majority of us buy 3-4 a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment